Friday, June 13, 2008

Update

Thank you so much for praying for Ethan's outpatient visit this morning. We waited a couple of hours after his blood was drawn to see if he needed any transfusions. They came back and said his red blood cells and his platelets had gone up, so no transfusion needed! And his white cells (the cancer cells) were very low! This is great news and indicates that this last round of chemo appears to have been effective. We do not go back to check his blood/platelets again until Tuesday, so please be in prayer that over the next several days his good counts continue to rise. His immune system is very low right now, so please also be in prayer that he doesn't get a fever or any type of infection in his system. His spleen felt softer and a little smaller today, which is very good, but we still need it a lot smaller to avoid having to take it out.

Also, I talked to Boston Children's today and they are still in the middle of conducting further testing on the possible donor matches. They have requested additional information from various people, and actually have a person coming in next week for additional testing. I'm not sure if that's the person that the Lord has for Ethan, but I'd love it if he/she were because we need to move forward on this process. Please be in prayer for that person's testing next week and that if that is the person who will aide our son in a miracle, that everything would go smoothly and quickly as their testing is completed. They also informed me that they are also searching for cord blood matches for Ethan. Either a bone marrow or cord blood can be used as a transplant to treat Ethan's cancer, so be in prayer that the best/correct method is chosen for him. I want the most effective, and least traumatic direction chosen for Ethan.

Ethan's case is labled as "urgent", but this is a slow moving process and there is a lot of "waiting"... but I'm so thankful that God is divinely in every step.

We will get re-admitted on Thursday to start Ethan's 4th round of chemo. I'm wondering if it should be delayed a day or so to allow him a break from the "at home" medications before starting chemo again, but I haven't talked to the doctor. Pray for wisdom either way.

As always, and with deepest sincerity, thank you so much for every prayer you bring to the Father on our behalf. You do not know the impact they have on our daily lives.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

praise the Lord for a great update!
michelle

Megan said...

I was praying for good news about Ethan today and Praise the Lord we got some. We will continue to pray for the specifics you gave us and more. Have a wonderful weekend at home with your wonderful family. May Adam have a wonderful first Father's Day, please tell him "Happy Father's Day" from us.
God Bless!
Megan

Megan said...

Hi Kasey, one more thing... if you don't mind me asking, what symptoms did Ethan have that made them check for this disease? I'm a worry wort even though I do my best to give it over to God however I'm a new mother so I can't help it some times.
Thanks for sharing.
Love,
Megan

Carrie Comstock said...

Good news!

...and a happy early Father's Day to Adam! :)

The Drama Mama said...

Praising God with you for a good visit yesterday. We are praying for that exact match right now.

I received something in the mail the other day from the Texas Cord Blood Bank (we donated Kylie's cord blood after she was born) and they wanted to follow up with us. I immediately thought of you guys and called them RIGHT back. For the first time I saw the urgency in getting on that type of thing immediately. Unfortunatley, now that there is a HUGE possibility that she has a blood disorder it probably won't help anyone. Maybe they can use other parts of it. I pray anyway, after staying up with everything you guys are going through, I can't imagine not doing more to save a little life.

You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Praying for a great weekend with no infection/fever! Praying for wisdom for you and Adam and of course praying for Ethan's entire body! Sending love your way!

Anonymous said...

Adam, It is really only still Saturday night, but before I turned in I wanted to make sure to wish you a Wonderful First Fathers Day. You are a great daddy and Ethan is blessed to have you as his! God bless you on this special day and I am so thankful you can be home together as your little family and relax in the comforts of your own home. Enjoy the whole day with him (and Kasey of course).
I will be praying for no infections or anything to compromise Ethans health and progress.
Kim

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but I saw your prayer group on facebook via a friend of mine. I too have a son with a life-threatening illness. I want you to know how much of an encouragement you have been to me, just by reading your posts. I will pray for your little one. I know how you feel. My son was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when he was nine days old. There is no cure for his disease, and the average lifespan is 38. As I read your page, and cried several times, I realized that I can do this too. You are in the hospital much more than I am with our little one, and you just keep on keeping on. It's what we mom's do. God only gives us as much as we can handle. Continue to rely on his strength, and I will do the same. Know that we will be keeping your family in our prayers.
In Christ, the Philbrick's (Toledo, OH)

Janelle and Ella said...

Praise the Lord about his counts being so great!! That is wonderful news. I will be in prayer this week for his 4th round of chemo and for the donor match!