Thursday, April 30, 2009

reflecting

Since it's been just over a year now that I started this blog, I thought I'd take a look back on this day last year to see what we were going through. You can read it for yourself here.

I know it's no coincidence that on this very day, last year, I was explaining all the places Ethan couldn't go due to his weak immune system. I'm sure you can imagine the tears that welled up as I remembered where we were at that time in Ethan's treatment - and where we are now in his recovery... in just one years time. Simply amazing. What a drastic change we've encountered. I take him out places with me all the time now. And last year around this time, we were still looking for a bone marrow match, still giving him chemo treatments at home (as well as hospital stays every other week for other treatments).

April of 2008 Ethan was 3 months old, newly diagnosed with leukemia and it was just the very beginning of all we were to about to endure with Ethan's cancer, but how amazing... seriously amazing, that in April of 2009 our little boy is a thriving (thriving!) 15 month old boy. Sometimes I can't even fully wrap my mind around the goodness of the Lord.... today being one of those times. I'm once again overwhelmed at His power and mercy.

I've never been one to question God's ability to do something - anything! But I've sometimes been one to question whether or not He'd do it (whatever "it" might be) for me. But it's undeniable how wrong I was in that line of foolish thinking.

It's not about us. It's not about things we think we do or don't deserve. Because frankly, we don't deserve anything from Him. It's about Him. It's about His desire to demonstrate His love for us, His mercy towards us, and His grace within us. And receive glory along the way.

Cling to Him! It's all I can say. Cling to Him.

The setbacks. The disappointment. I understand those things. We've lived those things. But I also understand (even better than I ever have), the bigger picture.

It's all working for our good. Trust me.

No, better yet, Trust Him.

3 comments:

Lori, Landon and Logan said...

This is such a sweet post Kasey! I am so glad God has healed Ethan! You are so strong in Him!

Anonymous said...

Ethan IS thriving!!! You are too. Praise God for His grace and mercy. He is everlasting.

Jackson said...

I am so happy for Ethan and your family! I left you something on my blog!:)