I was sharing with a friend via email some overall prayer requests we have for Ethan. I wanted to share them with you as well in the hopes that you will join us in praying over these areas.
1. That Ethan's central line remains infection free.
2. That fluid does not gather in his lungs... which would complicate his breathing and force a ventilator to help him breathe. This isn't at all an issue right now, but we want to avoid this completely! So I'm asking for proactive prayer in this area.
3. Pray he continues to eat well and that he continues taking the medications he has to take by mouth, with no problem (no mouth sores or nausea).
4. Pray that his blood counts start to go up (aka: engraft). The sooner this happens, the sooner we can go home!
5. Pray he remains fever-free after he begins to engraft, as this also helps us along in being discharged.
6. Pray that he will not get a severe case of Graft-versus-host-disease (GVHD). This is an expected side effect of a transplant. It's something that the body goes through as it is in the process of "accepting" the new donor's cells, and is a side effect that we will be watching for in the many months to come. However, it can cause major complications if it became a severe case. (The spectrum of GVHD can be anywhere from mild to severe. We only want the mild version!)
7. Pray that Ethan needs less and less blood and platelet transfusions as he begins to engraft the new donor cells. As this would indicate that his body is becoming more self-sufficient.
Thank you so much for praying over these areas of Ethan's life. We've seen small miracles and unexpected blessings of progress each week.... I selfishly want that to continue!
In You, O LORD, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness. Bow down Your ear to me, deliver me speedily; be my rock of refuge, a fortress of defense to save me. For You are my rock and my fortress; therefore, for Your name’s sake, lead me and guide me.